Ryann Reflections

A glimpse into the life of one anti-social stripper nerd.

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Breast Cancer Society of Canada doesn't want our money

Well I’m back in Vancouver and it’s that time of year again. The 4th Annual Exotic Dancers for Cancer will be held at the Drake Show lounge on March 4, 2007.

I’ve been a little out of touch lately, geographically that is. So I haven’t been participating in the media circus that this event has become. Another dancer came across this video while researching, for obvious reasons I’m using it as an example of why we’re doing this. http://aabc.org.uk/campaign/dancer.html

The Breast Cancer Society of Canada chose NOT to accept our money this year. We received a letter saying… “We will have to decline your kind offer as we have certain major donors that are not in favour of this connection. Believe me you are not the only fundraising event that we have had to decline accepting proceeds from. This decision came as a result of donor disgruntlement and together with the Board of Directors we have decided not to accept any donations from what donors consider controversial sources.”

I have a lot of mixed feelings about our money being refused. On one hand I want to scream and rage at the blatant discrimination. They don’t want our money. Strippers are immoral? What about the corporate men I entertain every day? What about the men who pay me to stare at my pussy? Why is their money welcome and ours isn’t? I want to be surprised, but really I wasn’t. I know it’s not fair, and I know it’s bullshit, but part of me can understand why someone wouldn’t want to intentionally subject themselves to the level of stigma associated with my job.

The media and the public reacted far more intensely than I did. I’m glad. We put out the call to find a cancer charity that wanted our money, and were overwhelmed by the response. Hundreds of emails can in, almost all in support of us. After sorting through everything we finally decided on Rethink Breast Cancer.

Rethink is a national, registered charity that focuses on women under 40 years of age through education about risk factors and early detection. They also provide training grants for innovate breast cancer researchers and have started funding support programs for young women with breast cancer. http://www.rethinkbreastcancer.com/
We’re very happy with our choice and the event looks to be our biggest yet. “This event is in memory of a woman who was first diagnosed with breast cancer at the age of 34,” says Trina Ricketts, organizer of the event and founder of nakedtruth.ca – a resource and advocacy website for exotic dancers. “For this reason and so many others, Rethink just seemed like a great fit.”

I’ll talk a bit more about the event as it draws near, but mark on your calendar friends. It’s gonna be one hell of a party!!

March 4, 2007
4pm-midnight
The Drake Exotic Show Lounge
606 Powell St. Vancouver, BC

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

  • At 6:47 AM, Blogger Cairde said…

    I am truly disappointed that they would decline your donation. It seems selfish and makes me believe they aren't really thinking about the people suffering from Cancer, but about their own egos. Very sad.

     
  • At 8:38 AM, Blogger Johnny Wadd said…

    Cancer never discriminates on who it affects, the society shouldn't discriminate on who wants to help. Truly disappointing.

     
  • At 2:19 PM, Blogger Gadzie said…

    I whole heartedly agree with Cairde and Johnny. That donation isn't about the women taking off their clothes for money. It's about the women coming together to support other women fighting for their lives.

     
  • At 12:30 AM, Blogger Ryann said…

    exactly!!

    it's just sad.

     
  • At 10:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I may be biased and pissed that my frankenpecker is being pushed back to april for brain surgery because of an incompentantly Government administered health system that would be better off with a means tested card and privately administered hospital and clinic system where wealth pays. But I digress, some women suffer from hypospadius (www.hypospade.com Funny stuff.) why not do this for hypospadius research? Not fashionable? Did you know rape can be cause of such damage and phisically scared Urethras?

    Why fashion? Is it really glory or charity?
    Why not donate individually yourself rather than some horny or drunk idiots stuff; I exaggerate, I think of ED (Exotic Dancing) as mentally theraputic for my fruedian issues (as expressed in above URL in humor).

    None the less, why the limitations? Why only one kind of cancer, in fact?

    Oh John Cock Holmes wannabe, lol, they discriminate too as I mentioned; it isn't prostate cancer or Uterine or Skin is it?
    I admit I'd prefer them on my squidoo lens list then many.

    Regards,

    Gölök Zoltán Leenderdt Franco Buday
    "Giant potholes are the footprint of big government, that's how you know it's there." -- Gölök Z.L.F. Buday

     
  • At 7:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It just hit me, "not about taking clothes off for money," "women getting together." They could have a tupperware party for cancer then, or a gala dinner. Now in a later article Ryann after (Rhyann is more Gypsy in spelling) saying "exactly" refered to fighting off the "stigma?" You did open the door, so no one says you have to agree, but there is no shame in their trade and it is about that. They aren't donating their tips humbly year around or pay, if they did why have one day for it. If they are better on them every other day when they choose the humble route, the altruistic charitable route. Charity is a private matter.

    Oh gadzilla, Cancer attacks everyone, and Women can get together and watch male strippers for cancer too oddly enough.
    Why discriminate on who gets the help and research or what disease is more important?

    I am sure sometimes Ryann thinks I am her colon cancer and I don't see a collection to have me hit, or maybe that's why the Royal Drake gets a few good words, brownie points that can go to a hit.

    * I am a sardonic smart ass, what can I say, If I must prechew it.
    I often do lately.

    You know all that money and still a rat or mouse will be cured or treated before any human being gets a small tumor cured or innoculated.

    Best

    Gölök ZLF Buday

     
  • At 1:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Breast Cancer society
    Common Breast Cancer Myths

    The first myth pertaining to this disease is that it only affects women.

    Second myth that is associated with this disease is that if one has found a lump during an examination, it is cancer.

    Third is that it is solely hereditary

    The next myth associated with breast cancer is downright ridiculous. Would you believe, that in this day and age, some individuals still think that breast cancer is contagious?

    Conversely, some individuals foolishly believe that breast size determines whether or not one gets cancer.

    Finally, another myth that is associated with this disease is that it only affects older people. This is not so. Although the chance of getting breast cancer increases with age, women as young as 18 have been diagnosed with the disease.

    You can find a number of helpful informative articles on Breast Cancer society at breast-cancer1.com

    Breast Cancer society

     

Post a Comment

<< Home