Ryann Reflections

A glimpse into the life of one anti-social stripper nerd.

Sunday, November 11, 2007

Appreciate

It’s hard to appreciate what’s in front of us. There are days when I barely glance at the ocean, or I grumble at the stupid rain and this stupid city. There are times when I forget to be in awe. But then the sun breaks through and I find myself driving over the Burrard st. bridge amazed at the sparkle of my surroundings. The beauty was there all along.

It’s so easy to forget. Unfortunately it’s all too easy to forget to appreciate those closest to us as well.

I’ve been single for a long time and inevitably I watch other couples interact. I watch how easy it is to take someone for granted. It’s easy to see the mistakes and pick at the less than ideal pieces. It’s tempting to make jokes and poke fun at quirks and imperfections.

But maybe take a step back and look at your partner.

All I ask… next time you’re going to criticize your partner, ask yourself “Is this necessary?” Sometimes it is. But I highly doubt it’s necessary in front of friends, coworkers, or strangers. Sometimes it’s not necessary at all.

We all need relationships that comfort and strengthen us. We need love and respect. We need to feel desired, appreciated, and adored. We need to feel safe and accepted. As flawed as we are the beauty was there all along.

I’ve been blessed with incredible friendships. I hope I never forget to appreciate them. I hope I never forget to celebrate how wonderful each and every friend is.

Hey friends! You’re awesome and I love you. Thank you for being in my life.

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • At 10:36 AM, Blogger Cairde said…

    Great Post, thanks Ry. We all need that reminder.

     
  • At 9:56 PM, Blogger TR said…

    Hey friend! You are one of my blessings baby. xoxo

     

Post a Comment

<< Home