Ryann Reflections

A glimpse into the life of one anti-social stripper nerd.

Friday, April 21, 2006

Backlash

My heart is heavy tonight.
For the first time I considered censoring myself so as not to subject myself to abuse and hatred. But I knew that ignorance would be prevalent when I commented on the Duke rape. People are stupid. I know I am an easy target, and a common trigger. I’m a big girl. I can handle it. I can disregard and delete it. I will NOT encourage nor condone hate.

To clarify, I am a stripper. I am not a whore, although I have great respect and admiration for the women that have the strength to choose that path. I am a stripper. I am a university graduate. I am a woman.

Sadly, I know the world is full of abhorrence and segregation. I know many facets of society blame and condemn my profession. I lost my optimism and faith in the goodness of humanity a long time ago. But I will continue to advocate for respect, choice, and dignity for all people. I may not change the world. But my voice, my influence, and my boundaries will change the world around me. If I am blessed eventually the ripples will spread.

The backlash from the religious right and the insecure and uninformed has reminded me of how far we are from equality. The rhetoric of fear has strengthened my belief in my path. My voice is important. My work is needed. I know I will encounter cruelty along the way, but if my advocacy, and my research help one woman find her strength I have succeeded. If I can prevent one rape, promote one healing, assist with one choice, or open one mind, I will have succeeded... and I will.

This is a safe environment. It is stripper friendly, whore friendly, gay/lesbian friendly, and choice friendly. I will not say free of judgment, because I do reserve the right to maintain and promote an accepting and open community. I will not judge or discriminate anyone based on choice, race, religion, gender or sexual identity, profession, culture, or lifestyle.

I will judge attitude, opinion, ignorance, discrimination, racism, fear, and grammar.

I will not defend my choices to the small-minded yahoos of fear culture.

I know my path. I am strong, independent, ambitious, intelligent, educated, compassionate, and beautiful.

I will continue to speak my mind.
I will continue to advocate for the rights of the other.
I will continue to write, express, and consider.
I will continue to educate myself.
...and I will continue to strip.

(my mom is very proud of me)

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

  • At 5:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What frightens me the most about the so-called "Moral Majority" in the states is if they abolish stripping, then sexcrimes in the States will actually rise. They seem to have forgotten that back in the 1920's to 1930's that when alcohol was prohibited that crimes relating to alcohol increased.
    By trying to integrate the church into the state and not keeping them seperate they will turn North America into a region as fear mongering and intollerant as the countries that they are supposedly "freeing" currently.

    Here's a point for them to ponder also. If god created people naked, and was suprised w/ people clothing themselves, why must looking at naked people be so evil?
    If the human form is one of gods creations then why not kick back at the local peeler bar and enjoy his handywork. :)

     
  • At 5:33 AM, Blogger Cairde said…

    Well said Ryann! It is important to not let anyone stop the expression of open ideas. I fear for this world, most especially the US. We preach about how poorly other countries treat their citizens as far as human rights, then we turn around and blame the victim of a crime for what occurred because of who she was or what she was doing at the time. I am shocked everyday at the close-minded attitudes of society, even those close to me. I told someone I had always admired about some mental-stability issues of a new friend of mine, and her response, "do you really think you should hang around someone like that?" Why the hell not?! This person is my friend and I am damn lucky to have them in my life, and if I can make this person feel better and be happy, then I am better in life myself. We are judgemental and unforgiving nowadays and it is very frightening.

     
  • At 9:15 AM, Blogger Ryann said…

    rori- YOU ROCK!!

    I wish cowtown was on my tour so I could say hi again.

    Pita- every voice matters. every act of love touches someone's soul. acceptance will heal. I hope someday I have th honour to meet you as well.

     
  • At 12:23 PM, Blogger thestraightpoop said…

    A lot of other women are very proud of you too, babe. Keep fighting, keep talking and damn...keep stripping.

    When you're in Vancouver, let me know!

     
  • At 12:25 PM, Blogger Johnny Wadd said…

    Of course you should continue to speak your mind, especially here on your own blog. Never censor yourself. If someone don't like it and they have no intelligent rebuttal, then they can take a hike and not return.

     
  • At 6:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What about discrimination on opinion and philosophy, sometimes race, etc... is even a slight of hand to avoid admitting this sort of discrimination, since it isn't one you can see too easily.
    "Sex Trade Worker" is statement however that your friends at NakedTruth.ca push hard and this is one of the broad strokes that get you and other Exotic Dancers pegged with the "Whore" stigma. Totally unfairly, but Sex Trade worker is a "nice guy" routine way of calling you a hooker wether you are one or a stripper. Maybe hoping it will demoralize dancers enough to turn them out later.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home