Ryann Reflections

A glimpse into the life of one anti-social stripper nerd.

Thursday, April 20, 2006

Duke Rape

I haven’t touched it yet, but I am now realizing that I have an obligation to comment on this situation. The Duke Rape case is horrific.

Sadly I am not surprised at the events. I watch men. I know what a group of drunken men with “Lord of the Flies” group dynamics are capable of under the right circumstances. I know that as a “Stripper” in the eyes of many, we become the “Other”. I am aware that when functioning in a society that dichotomizes good girls from bad girls and only offers protection and support to one segment, that permissive abuse can be excused.

There is no question. There is no credibility to question. Trust me; she has nothing to gain by subjecting herself to this intolerance and hate. Trust me; all she wanted was her money to pay tuition, to pay her bills, to live. Trust me; she did not want to be raped.

It is 2006 and yet it is national debate south of the boarder whether a woman deserved to be raped. It is 2006 and so many are so eager to separate the good girls from the bad. If it was a young blonde daughter of a senator there would be no question. There would be uproar, not debate. There would be no question if a young black stripper was asking for it, if she deserved it.

I am shocked, appalled and sickened by the determination and vocalization of so many people to blame the victim.

www.hogonice.com/
http://rightwingsparkle.blogspot.com/

Just to name a few… It’s those people that inadvertently condone and encourage violence against women. It’s those voices that create an atmosphere of hate and abuse.

STOP BLAMING THE VICTIM!!! You stupid arrogant cock-sucking hate spreading self-righteous scrotum licking shit diving self-loathing fear-based ignorant cunt hating TRASH!!!

She is a stripper! Damn straight she is a stripper. For those that perhaps misunderstand the definition of stripper, I am going to elaborate.
A stripper is a woman who has chosen to make a living taking her clothes off.
A stripper is a woman who works, who pays her taxes, who does her best to support herself and her family.
A stripper is a daughter
A stripper is often a mother.
A stripper is a friend, confidante, roll model, advocate, and sister.

I take my clothes off. Should I have no rights? Should I have no dignity? Should I have no choice?

I am a stripper.
Do I deserve to be attacked and raped?


Fucking ignorant cowards.



On the smarter side…
http://redstatefeminist.blogspot.com/
http://harpowoman.blogspot.com/
and my own… http://ryannreflections.blogspot.com/2006/03/rape.html

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

  • At 2:57 AM, Blogger Brighton said…

    You are so right, no one deserves that type of treatment. Strippers are moms, wives, sisters, even a school teacher like me : )

     
  • At 6:46 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Great post and I am glad you are speaking out as well. hang in there! Rebecca

     
  • At 10:49 AM, Blogger Supafab said…

    I completely agree with you... and make sure you visit...

    http://acatandtwenty.blogspot.com/

    She's on 'our' side:)

     
  • At 11:02 AM, Blogger Ryann said…

    thx supafab. :)

    brighton, rebecca, danm straight! thank you for stopping by, your words are appreciated.

     
  • At 11:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Ryann - stopping in from Brighton's. I find it hard to contain my rage at the ignorant masses who blame the victim. Having been friends with several strippers and in love and lover to one I got to hear the tales and always found issue with those that thought just because you are naked you were "easy". I fear there is little hope for such small minds!

     
  • At 12:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Have you read any of the details of this case, or did you just jump to your conclusion immediately?

    Why would the stripper lie? So she didn't have to go to jail for one. Because she could make millions of dollars in a civil lawsuit for another.

    And she is NOT a victim. She is an ALLEGED VICTIM! Or do you not believe in "innocent until proven guilty." If the white players had accussed the stripper of raping them, would you have granted them the same holy status?

    You don't discuss any of the evidence. You just call names and spread bullshit. It's people like you that are the problem with the world.

     
  • At 12:40 PM, Blogger Ryann said…

    hey Anonymous... at least I stand behind my words. who are you? do you wish to discuss anything? or are you one too afraid to put your name in front of your hate?

    As for the facts of the case, yes, I am up to date. thank you. I feel that there is enough discussion on the "facts" of a case that has not gone to trial yet.

    In one moment you are willing to discredit her based on her occupation. With one title you appoint her "the other" and take away her right to work, right to choose, right to safety. and NO she did not give up those rights by choosing to be naked.

    Unless you are a stripper, I doubt you know much about the industry or the choices we make. Since I AM A STRIPPER, I do feel I have the knoweldge base to comment.

    she has nothing to gain by lying. brighton? seamus? you with me?

     
  • At 2:37 PM, Blogger Chickie said…

    Well said, Ryann.

     
  • At 2:57 PM, Blogger Supafab said…

    I guess sometimes we have to dumb it down for people...
    A woman was raped.
    No woman ever asks to be raped.
    Therefore it is a crime.
    And she is a VICTIM.

     
  • At 4:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You guys are the ones that are stupid. You say "She was raped." This has not been proven.

    I have not discredited the alleged victim in anyway. I only would ask that you would have the same respect for the lacrosse players, who have yet not been convicted of anything. Most of the publicly available evidence points in their favor.

    I have no problem with strippers IN ANY WAY. I have a problem with people rushing to judgements and demonizing two young men who may turn out to be innocent. You don't know she was raped, so shut the hell up.

     
  • At 5:38 PM, Blogger Ryann said…

    sigh... once again, would you care to identify yourself?

    you say "I have no problem with strippers IN ANY WAY." yet you choose to believe the attackers over the victim. interesting. are you always inclined to put faith in the accused rapist first? or are these special circumstances?

    for the record. No. I will not shut up. I have the education to express, the experience to validate, the mind to think, and the voice to use.

    I will continue to speak my mind.
    I will continue to advocate for the rights of the other.
    I will continue to write, express, and consider.
    I will continue to educate myself and think

    and I will continue to strip

     
  • At 10:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Some of those guys amaze me, but then I'm glad I'm not an american.

    Lets cover some quick points here:
    Did an attack happen? Yes, that point doesn't seem to be questioned.

    Did she "ask for it"? Ah, here's step one of the contentious issue.

    Could she have consented? Possibly, however...
    Was she in a state of mind that would make the consent invalid?

    Here's where i figure those jocks are gonna make their claim. They will
    state that she was willing, which in fact she may or may not have been.
    Consent, however, can be revoked!

    So, thus even if she was initally a willing participant at the start. She
    obviously wasn't so willing later on. Winding up bloodied after being w/ a
    group of guys does not sound like a consentual act.

    Next point:
    Are the lacrosse team the culprits?
    Likely, they are the accused in this matter, and don't seem to be denying
    the fact that they both have met her and know what happened to her. Also
    "she was asking for it" is hardly the defence of someone w/ a clean
    concience.

    What is the evidence? Unknown to the regular person. Forensic information
    is likely to have been collected but it is unlikely to be released before
    the trial and will only be seen _during_ the trial.

    Could her story be fabricated? Possibly, however, her injuries no matter
    how they occured are genuine.


    Will those guys be convicted?
    That will depend on the forensic evidence. Unfortunately society, however
    advanced they like to claim they are, are far from it.

    Misogynists and misandrists are only making things worse, here's an
    example:
    Is there something she could have done to keep the incedent from happening?
    Undoubtably, but she shouldn't have needed to.

    Unfortunately there has become a legal precident were people have to take
    care of others who are being stupid, and people who are being sensible have
    to take excessive, even paranoid, precautions to prevent themselves from
    being accountable for another idiots carelessness.

     
  • At 7:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This alledged victim does have to be taken seriously, but also seriously not deny the other side of humanity which can lie and make things hard on actual victims, such as what paved this road for this issue, and yes there is an attitude a close person to me in Hanna was treated like she deserved it when the Municipal Official Sport was underway on Strippers. Many issues are tough the alledged victim has not made any public statement where anyone outside the investigation could gage the physiognomy and she was alledgedly attacked by a mob which could confuse her to which creatures attacked her and which may have just stood aside and let it happen, all are bad; but I would not want anyone getting away with this because someone was overzelous enough to forget that all the Constitutional freedoms are not denied until they refuse, oppose them or are prosecuted beyond a reasonable doubt (due process). As they say, the most henious the charge the more in things are leaned in favour of the defendent. It is easy to have knee jerks about these things, but have ever known all cases to be true? Even if this one is, there has to be at least a little doubt in ones own knowlledge of this. It would be wonderful if the dancer is given all the human treatment, as opposed the "presumed slut," one and it might happen. Not from Jesse Jackson however who has a subtle way of saying "stop dancing" by offering her tuition.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home