Ryann Reflections

A glimpse into the life of one anti-social stripper nerd.

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Solstice

All organic, fresh juiced, carrot, orange & ginger super juice.... mmmm. I actually have a juicer... in a box, in a town... somewhere. But as with many good intentions in the kitchen, and in my life, I got bored and stopped using it.

It’s winter solstice today, a far more ancient tradition and celebration than Jesus. Ancient cultures spent much energy in the tracking of the solstice. The turning point, the rebirth of the sun. An utterly astounding array of ancient cultures built their greatest architectures -- tombs, temples, cairns and sacred observatories -- so that they aligned with the solstices and equinoxes. Stonehenge is a perfect marker of both solstices. The less popular Newgrange, a beautiful megalithic site in Ireland is thought to be 5,000 years old. This huge circular stone structure was built to receive a shaft of sunlight deep into its central chamber at dawn on winter solstice.

The placement of Hanukkah is tied to both the lunar and solar calendars. It begins on the 25th of Kislev, three days before the new moon closest to the Winter Solstice. Almost every culture marks a celebration near solstice.

I watched the Barbara Walters special on “Heaven. Where is it? How do we get there?” last night. I was struck by the regularity of judgment and uncertainty from people who are considered leaders of religion. His Holiness the Dalai Lama is beautiful in his modesty and acceptance. Sadly he was the only religious figure to NOT insinuate the condemnation of other faiths. Is Heaven pie? And sex? And virgins? Is Heaven unlimited cookies and chocolate while golfing with Aristotle? (Oops he wasn’t born again, might not be there)

I do not have an accurate picture of eternal life. But to limit eternity to elite pie eating without getting fat, or to exclusive lounging on lavish silks with unlimited sex… well it seems a tad… petty and narrow. Are we really that obsessed with the delights of indulgence? No wonder I have a job.

Are we really incapable of believing in acceptance, love, respect, and beauty? Are we, the same species capable of building pyramids, spaceships, Zen gardens and cathedrals incapable of encouraging an inclusive eternity?

I know I can create more than sex and pie in my vision of forever. But I was raised without fear, hatred and guilt.

http://www.truthbook.com/flash/findinggodflash.html

By Jesus, Allah, Jehovah, Buddha, Mother Spirit or any other name… Solstice is a time for reflecting that all life on earth is cyclical.

As the cycle continues, and the sun is reborn to another year, bless all those who mourn, who celebrate.
Bless the children in their innocence, and let them find joy in visions of Santa Clause, and magic.
Bless the travelers and the wanderers.
Bless friends and family, and loved ones far away.
Bless those who struggle and those who are alone.
Bless the men and women who make their living in dangerous and isolated professions.
Protect and cherish the streetwalkers and the homeless.
May the new season bring joy and peace as the days grow long. May the new sun guide and protect, and may the path appear to those who seek.

There is something special about Winter Solstice. It is an ancient common thread that ties the festivities together.

2 Comments:

  • At 6:42 PM, Blogger thatgirl said…

    That was absolutely beautiful. Happy Solstice Ryann:)

     
  • At 11:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Ryann (MissKristy here), I am leaving my first comment on your blog, whoo hoo!
    Anyhow, I read what you said about the Dalai Lama and I felt inspired to write.
    I saw him in Vancouver last year, or maybe 1 and 1/2 years ago...I am not a practicing anything, but I think at this point, and before I saw him, Buddhist is the closest to what I am. The spirituality, and non-judgement are so inspiring.
    What you said about His Holiness being the only one to not insinuate the condemnation of other faiths made me think of a test I saw, then I giggled because that is one of the things that I adore about Him and Buddhism in general. This test I found on Candace Cameron Bure's website, it's really quite scary, you might want to take it, and you might even want to write about it.
    Are you a good person? Take the test and find out....www.candacecameronbure.net/goodpersontest/ btw, I'm a BAD BAD BAD person, I'm pretty sure I'm off to hell.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home