Ryann Reflections

A glimpse into the life of one anti-social stripper nerd.

Thursday, December 08, 2005

Addicted

I'm addicted. 100% totally obsessively addicted... and not to anything delightfully sinister like sex or drugs... how dull...

Oh no, much worse.... Grande, Non-fat, No-whip, light foam, extra sprinkles, Pumpkin Spice Latte. mmmm... the very thought makes me all warm and fuzzy inside. I'm one of them. I'm one of those Starbucks people. Not a coffee junkie because I don't even want to go to second cup or timmy's... they don't make it right. They can't cater to my obsessively specific $5.00 coffee. They follow their pre-determined recipes and you're supposed to like it. Order a coffee, not a paragraph.

I can happily sit here for hours, watching people and enjoying the atmosphere. I can sit here and sip on my 'coffee' while blogging. Even the employees are not your regular minimum wage high schoolers and time killers. Starbucks hires smart, funky people with personality. Normal people don't become addicted to Starbucks. It's elitist. Well-dressed, well presented professional folk of their breaks, comfy intellectual snobs doing homework, nerds such as myself being anti-social taking advantage of wireless, and small groups of women enjoying the afternoon gossip. So many people so obessive about their coffee... What a delightful niche in society.

I should be going, my first show is in 20 min, and I ought to go back to the bar and get dressed.. soon...

There are people in this town I should say hello to while I'm here, old coworkers, old friends... but I've been rather anti-social. I never quite know if I should be honest about my job or not. It's near impossible to lie effectively and explain why I'm in town for a week, on such a specfic schedule, why I can't meet earlier, or stay later... and I'm never really sure how people will react. So I find myself ignoring them, avoiding going for coffee or lunch because I can't decide what to say... I choose to not put myself in situations where I may be subjected to negative energy or opinions. Am I loosing friends in doing this? Should I be honest and immediately weed out the friends that are not real? Should I lie? I'm not sure... Is it fair of me to expect people to understand?

4 Comments:

  • At 4:33 PM, Blogger Cairde said…

    I think it should be a "law" that everyone should sit and enjoy one cup of latte, cappucino, or other specialty coffee beverage a day. Whether in a coffee shop or at work, it seems to help people slow down a bit and enjoy their surroundings. I work with all men in a small, busy "office". Not an office in the official sense, but too hard to explain. These are laborers, not known for ordering a latte, but I make a stink every once in awhile and convince a few of them to get a latte instead of the same ole large coffee. It is amazing, rather than run by with coffee in hand, heading to the next job, they will sit in the conference room with me and chat, laugh, relax...even if only for 10-15mins. They make fun of the "fru-fru" coffee, but they love it. It's amazing what a little foam can do. :)

    As for seeing people in town, don't feel obligated. If they really want to see you, they will make it known. I have decided that if I really want to see someone, I do. Anyone else just doesn't have a place in my life at the moment, even if it is just that day or week. Be comfortable, it's all about you.

     
  • At 6:01 PM, Blogger Anna said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 6:03 PM, Blogger Anna said…

    Man I am a dork - made a mess of that last comment and didn't know how to edit it....

    Starbucks is a great spot for parents too, you should see all the strollers in our local Starbucks. I have to have my mocha, and the boys LOVE the banana bread....it is actually a really nice mix of people, local high school kids to the retired folk....

     
  • At 7:31 PM, Blogger Gadzie said…

    Pumpkin Spice is my favorite flavor! They should have it all year round!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home