Ryann Reflections

A glimpse into the life of one anti-social stripper nerd.

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Wish me luck

I’m kinda freaking out. The Police Board meeting is tomorrow and even though I’ve been involved in politics since high school, sat on steering committees, talked at city counsel meetings, presented in front of numerous colleagues and superiors, organized international events, and done media relations more than once… That was my old life, my real life.

I used to speak from a position of well-educated ambitious young woman, and while that hasn’t changed, now I’m speaking as “The Stripper” and I’m so afraid of the judgment and condemnation. I don’t want to stand in a board room and put myself in the spotlight as the “other”. I liked being admired and respected in the community. I miss believing the police would protect me.

Something has to be done. Someone has to speak for the dancers in Vancouver. I know I can’t just hide in my house hoping someone else will. I know I’m already that voice for numerous women, but I’m scared.

I don’t like inviting people to attack me. I don’t like walking into situations where people will judge me and introducing myself as “The Stripper”, but that is precisely what I’m going to do tomorrow.

Wish me luck… Wish me the courage to stand up for our rights, and the strength to speak. I pray for the guidance to say the right thing.

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • At 7:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "Great speakers are often nervous with butterflies in their stomach before giving a presentation. Some tension brings about a great speech."

     
  • At 10:46 AM, Blogger Cairde said…

    Good luck Ry! After reading your amazing thoughts for so long, I have nothing but the utmost faith that you will do a fantastic job.

     
  • At 4:53 PM, Blogger BluesCityRef said…

    Stay calm, cool, and collected under all circumstances. The only empowerment they have over you is to watch you loose your cool once they judge you. Don't let them see it even if the emotion overwhelms you too.

    Sinking down to their level and fighting with them is what they want. Show them the confident strong person that we all know that you are and keep your wits about you and you'll do fine.

     
  • At 12:45 PM, Blogger Kiki said…

    I can't wait to hear all about it.
    I know you'll be awesome!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home